Emergency Housing Services

Community Action Agencies, led by Southwestern Community Services in Keene, have resources available for those experiencing a housing crisis.

If you are at risk of losing your rental housing, please dial 2-1-1 toll free or click here to look up the phone number for your local Community Action Agency. Each Community Action Agency has a Homeless Outreach Worker who assists with rapid re-housing and homeless prevention. Please read over the following guidelines to see if their services may be a fit for your situation:

  • Household total income must be at or below 50% of area median income using HUD’s most recent income guidelines.
  • Assistance is only for households residing in New Hampshire.
  • Households cannot be receiving Federal rental assistance (Section 8) or living in public or publically-subsidized housing.  
  • Households must agree to work with a housing stability case manager for six months following the end of any rental assistance to be sure their housing is stabilized.

If you are eligible, you may be assisted either with past due rental assistance and/or current rental assistance if you are able to maintain your housing thereafter, as determined by the Community Action Agency. Households must contribute 30% of their monthly gross income.

If you have questions, please dial 2-1-1 toll free or contact your local Community Action Agency.

Please note that this is not the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program. If you need long-term rental assistance, our Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is still open. If you’d like to apply for a voucher, application and other information can be found here.