- InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants
InvestNH Municipal Planning & Zoning Grants
This program is administered by:
As part of Governor Sununu’s $100 million InvestNH initiative, $5 million has been allocated to provide grants to municipalities to analyze and update their land use regulations to help increase housing development opportunities. The NH Department of Business and Economic Affairs has contracted with New Hampshire Housing to administer this program.
Cities and towns will use these grants to study zoning or other regulatory causes of a lack of affordable housing, identify potential changes to local land use regulations, and/or establish or update those regulations in response to those findings. Community engagement will be an important part of municipal work under these grants.
Two types of grants are available: Community Housing Navigator Grants and Housing Opportunity Planning (HOP) Grants. A municipality may be awarded both types of grants.
COMMUNITY HOUSING NAVIGATOR GRANTS are for municipalities to hire local staff who will coordinate regulatory change to help increase housing development. Grant applications will be accepted until September 30, 2022. Awards will be made on or before October 14, 2022.
HOUSING OPPORTUNITY PLANNING (HOP) GRANTS are for municipalities to hire consultants to work on one or more of the three phases of regulatory change outlined below. Municipalities may hire consultants using a competitive process or they may choose a consultant from a list of pre-approved qualified consultants, which will include their regional planning commission.
Needs Analysis and Planning Grants
- $25,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until January 27, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
Regulatory Audit Grants
- $50,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until June 30, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
Regulatory Development Grants
- $100,000 grant maximum for this phase.
- Applications will be accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until November 15, 2023 or when funds are exhausted, whichever occurs first.
- Housing Opportunity Planning (HOP) Grant Application Information (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- List of Qualified NH HOP Consultants
- If you are a consultant who does this work, please respond to the Request for Qualifications for HOP Consultant List (PDF). The initial list was published August 12, 2022.
Please complete this form if you are not yet ready to apply and would like additional information about these programs.
These projects are being supported by, in whole or in part, federal award number SLFRP0145 awarded to the State of New Hampshire by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.