Special Programs

The following special voucher programs have sub-lists on the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) wait list. To be placed on the sub-list for a specific program, check that program on the HCV application. If you are already on the HCV wait list and believe you qualify for a special program, you may call to be added to the sub-list for that program. Third-party verification of eligibility for a special program is required prior to receiving a voucher.


Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

New Hampshire Housing received a special allocation of vouchers for homeless veterans. These vouchers come through a special screening process which is handled by the Veterans Administration. The program is governed by several special regulations with regard to initial criminal screening, family break up policy and case management.


Mainstream Program

The Mainstream Voucher Program provides voucher assistance to households that include a non-elderly person(s) with disabilities, defined as any family that includes a person with disabilities who is at least 18 years old and not yet 62 years old.

Applicants may qualify for a preference on the waiting list if they are transitioning out of institutional or segregated setting or at serious risk of institutionalization because lack of access to supportive services for independent living, or they would be institutionalized if their services were cut

Applicants must meet all other eligibility requirements for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. New Hampshire Housing will coordinate housing search assistance with other agencies to assist disabled clients with locating units, including units with needed accessibility features.


Family Unification Program (FUP)

The Family Unification Program (FUP) provides rental assistance in partnership with the New Hampshire Division for Children, Youth, and Families to two groups:

Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in the imminent placement of the family’s child, or children, in out-of-home care; or the delay in the discharge of the child, or children to the family from out-of-home care.

Youth at least 18 years – 24 years of age (have not reached their 25th birthday) who left foster care, or will leave foster care within 90 days and are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless at age 16 or older. As required by statute, a FUP voucher issued to such youth may only be used to provide housing assistance for the youth for a maximum of 36 months.