- Special Programs
- Current Voucher Program Participants
- Forms & Publications
- Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS)
The goal of the Federal Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) is to provide safe, decent, sanitary, and affordable housing to very low-income households. Through the program, a qualified household pays a portion of their adjusted income toward rent and utilities, and New Hampshire Housing pays the remainder directly to the landlord. The rental unit is selected by the household and must meet certain housing quality standards.
Program eligibility and assistance is based upon income and household size. To be placed on the program, applicants must have incomes below 30% of area median income (see the Income Limits). However, New Hampshire Housing is able to accept a limited number of admissions for applicants with incomes below 50% of area median income.
The estimated waiting time for a voucher is based on the number of people on the waiting list, the availability of vouchers, and an applicant’s preference status. For a majority of applicants, this could mean an estimated wait time of 7-9 years before their name reaches the top of the list.
Please note: This is just an estimate. The actual wait time could be longer or shorter.
How To Apply
Please select from one of the following three options below to get an application form. Information about where to mail the completed form is included in the application.
- Call 1-800-439-7247 and request that an application be mailed to you. – OR –
- Download this application
- Complete this request form to send an e-mail and an application will be mailed to you.
Upon receiving/downloading the application, fill it in and mail it back.
You will receive a confirmation letter stating the approximate length of time before you will be able to receive assistance. If you do not receive that letter in two weeks, please call our office, 1-800-439-7247, extension 9266.
Eligibility is not determined when we receive your application. When we have vouchers available we will notify you and will verify your information at that time.
To Qualify For The Housing Choice Voucher Program, You Must:
- Have an annual income that does not exceed HUD Income Limits.
- Provide verification of Social Security Numbers for all household members. These documents may be submitted at the time of application or when vouchers become available.
- Meet HUD requirements on immigration or citizenship status.
- Pay any money owed to New Hampshire Housing or any other housing authority.
- Not be subject to lifetime sex offender registration requirements.
- Sign authorization forms so that New Hampshire Housing can verify the various eligibility requirements for the rental assistance programs.
- Not have any household members who are engaged in any criminal activity that threatens the life, health, safety, or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.
- Not have any household member who is engaged in any drug-related or violent criminal activity.
Please note that the information provided is subject to verification through computer matching with other federal agencies for the purpose of locating delinquent debtors. The debtor records include: Social Security Number, claim number, program code, and indication of indebtedness. Categories of records include: records of claims and defaults, repayment agreements, credit reports, financial statements, and records of foreclosures.
Click here for the English Rental Assistance Application Request
Click here for the Aplicación En Español
Click here for a complete list of forms and publications